Tuesday 1 February 2011

Hello, This Is Windows Support, We have Detected A Virus on Your Computer

Yep, that's the phone call I had today. With alarm bells ringing in my head because MS don't do this I asked him what firm he really works for. In very broken English over a crackly line I mad out GB Care Services. I led him on and he told me that if I want to get rid of it to follow his instructions. I had to press Windows Key and R which brings up the Run Box then type INF into it and click OK. This would bring up Event viewer. At this point I put the phone down for the second time.

Doing some research on Internet I finally found it was a scam and everything I suspected. They hope you are an uninformed user and wory you in what you find in Event Viewwer especially if you see something that says Critical which most people have. They then go through a process with you which basically hands over your computer to them remotely. You will then see them going through your computer for about half and hour and then direct you to download a program to clean the virus. After that they ask for a couple of hundred pounds for future protection. You can bet that if you don't pay and after you have handed your computer to them that you will get problems in the future, they'll make sure you do.

Read about it here:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/jul/18/phone-scam-india-call-centres

No comments: